Many leader and executives ask themselves how to properly lead a team, and proper leadership of a team can itself be broken down into multiple components. These include proper assessing yourself, optimizing your influence and communication, and other aspects. In detail, the steps usually are:
- Leadership Assessment;
- Leadership Influence and Persuasion;
- Communication and Conflict Resolution Optimization;
- Talent Management;
Let’s look at each of the following steps in detail:
This component is about assessing yourself as a leader. What is your leadership style? What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Assessing yourself using the Leadership Polarization Profile;
- Assessing your Transference and Displacement as a leader;
- Assessing your Cultural Cascading process;
- Assessing your Alpha Male Leadership Type;
Leadership Influence and Persuasion
This component is about properly influencing your talent in order to request alignment or compliance with specific objectives, overcome resistance and more drive their behavior.
- Applying the Kingmaker Influence framework;
- Using the Four Perceived Personalities framework;
Communication and Conflict Resolution Optimization
This component consists of small communication and conflict resolution tools that you can use to leverage an already existing effective leadership style.
- Discussing from First Principles;
- Using the Disagree and Commit Framework;
- Separating Task and Relationship Conflict;
- Kim Scott’s Radical Candor;
This component is about the actual mechanics of talent management and its governance. Meetings, assessments, others.
- The fundamentals of managing people effectively;
- Patrick Lencioni’s Ideal Team Player Model;
- Kim Scott’s Talent Management Model;
Assessing talent vocational fit using frameworks like the RIASEC Assessment or the Career Anchors;+
For leaders working with an executive leadership coach, our post on Leveraging Executive Leadership Coaching might be worth a quick read.
Conclusion: Towards a Comprehensive View of How to Lead a Team
Leadership can be broken down into several components. By effectively tackling them, including influence, talent management, leadership assessment and communication optimizations, a leader can more effectively drive their team towards results and shared goals.